Race Discrimination Attorneys
Professional Lawyers Fighting Against Race Discrimination in the Workplace
Recent events have led to increased awareness and public dialogue on the prevalence of race discrimination in the U.S. Despite this, race discrimination continues to occur in workplaces across the country, including Fortune 500 companies, law firms, universities, and start-ups. Race discrimination is not always as overt as the use of racial epithets or explicitly expressing bias. More subtle forms of discriminatory treatment, such as repeatedly denying employees of one race professional opportunities offered to other employees, can also violate the law. Employees can experience race discrimination at all levels of the corporate ladder and at any point in their careers and in workplaces.
On This Page
Federal laws such as Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and Section 1981 of the Civil Rights Act prohibit discrimination on the basis of race. State and local laws may also offer employees protection against discriminatory conduct, including the California Fair Employment and Housing Act, the New York City Human Rights Law, the New York State Human Rights Law, and the D.C. Human Rights Act. Under these laws, an employer may be held liable for treating an applicant or employee unfavorably in an employment action (e.g., hiring, firing, pay, job assignments, promotions, layoffs, training, etc.) because of their race. These laws also require employers to promptly and effectively address race-based harassment that results in a hostile work environment.
Sanford Heisler Sharp’s race discrimination attorneys have been on the front-line fighting discrimination in the workplace since the firm’s founding in 2004. Our attorneys and staff understand the many forms race discrimination can take and have significant experience helping clients develop a strong case to challenge their employer’s discriminatory practices. We are often successful at negotiating a confidential resolution of a client’s race discrimination claims. But when faced with an intransigent employer who will not settle, Sanford Heisler Sharp has a strong record of success in litigating through trial.
Sanford Heisler Sharp’s Discrimination and Harassment Practice Group has extensive experience pursuing and resolving individual and class actions alleging race discrimination, including:
- Securing a historic $8.7 million settlement in a race discrimination class action, including employees and customers, in their claims against Cracker Barrel restaurants
- Representing a class of thousands of African American deputy US Marshals and candidates who applied to be deputy US Marshals against the U.S. Marshals Service in their hiring, promotion, and headquarters assignment claims extending back to 1994
- Representing a class of racial minorities in their pay, promotion, and hostile work environment claims against John Elway auto dealerships in California
- Representing the president and CEO and other African American executives of General Electric Aviation Materials in their race discrimination claims in pay and promotions
- Representing three former Kraft Heinz employees in their race-based harassment claims against the company
- Negotiating a seven-figure settlement on behalf of a Black woman executive denied promotional opportunities over a ten-year period
- Negotiating a six-figure settlement on behalf of a woman of color at a large international law firm who was subjected to racist comments on her appearance and denied training opportunities offered to white attorneys
- Negotiating a monetary settlement, including significant value in stock options, and securing a promotion for a woman of color at a tech company
The lawyers at Sanford Heisler Sharp are prepared to assert your rights against any employer. Contact the firm’s Discrimination and Harassment Practice Group to learn more.