Wrongful Termination Attorneys
Being terminated from a job, for any reason, is a stressful and unsettling event. This experience can be even more devastating when the reason for the termination violates the law. Many employees may not be aware that they are protected from wrongful termination even if they are an at-will employee or are in a senior leadership or executive role.
On This Page
- Types of Wrongful Termination Cases We Handle
- Understanding the Complexities of Wrongful Termination Cases
- Our Record of Success
Submit a Contact Request Form Today
Types of Wrongful Termination Cases We Handle
The attorneys at Sanford Heisler Sharp regularly represent employees in wrongful termination actions and can help you determine whether your termination was based on an impermissible reason such as:
- Discrimination: An employer cannot fire an employee for discriminatory reasons, for example, because of their race, gender, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, or disability.
- Retaliation: The law also protects employees who are fired in retaliation for complaining about discriminatory conduct (even if the discrimination is directed at a different employee).
- Whistleblowing: Federal and state statutes include provisions to protect employees who have been fired for opposing or refusing to engage in unlawful or fraudulent activities.
- Breach of implied covenant of good faith: Employers are prohibited from terminating employees for reasons that can be considered a breach of good faith, such as terminating an employee to avoid paying them a commission.
- Breach of contract: A termination may also be wrongful if an employee is fired for reasons outside of those outlined in their implied or written employment contract.
- Violation of public policy: While state laws vary on this claim, employers are generally prohibited from terminating an employee for reasons that violate public policy, for example, terminating an employee because the employee files a workers’ compensation claim.
Understanding the Complexities of Wrongful Termination Cases
Our attorneys understand the challenges and complexities of being wrongfully terminated. We negotiate tenaciously to obtain a just resolution that allows our clients to continue in their careers while minimizing disruption and reputational harm.
Our Record of Success
Sanford Heisler Sharp has a strong record of successfully representing employees in wrongful termination actions in both confidential settlement negotiations and litigation against corporations, law firms, and other large institutions and organizations, including:
- Negotiating a seven-figure settlement for a lawyer who was fired for retaliatory reasons
- Negotiating a seven-figure settlement for an in-house counsel who was fired for retaliatory reasons
- Negotiating a seven-figure settlement for a group of female bankers of color who were fired because of their race and gender
- Negotiating six-figure settlements for female employees who were terminated after announcing pregnancy or while on maternity leave
To learn about how Sanford Heisler Sharp can assist you in your wrongful termination claims, reach out to our employment lawyers.