John Elway Toyota Race Discrimination
John Elway’s Manhattan Beach Toyota
Timothy Sandquist is an African-American male who was a knowledgeable, high-performing and hardworking employee at John Elway’s Manhattan Beach Toyota for more than 10 years. He started at the dealership as a Sales Representative in 2000 and worked his way up to Sales Manager in early 2008. During the two years Mr. Sandquist assumed the duties of the General Sales Manager, without the official title or the pay, the dealership had its most successful years selling cars, attaining the Toyota President’s Award two years in a row.
Despite Mr. Sandquist’s enormous success at and loyalty to the dealership, he was passed over for promotions, denied salary increases, and harassed on the basis of his race. After persevering for four years against the ongoing discrimination and hostile work environment that permeated John Elway’s Manhattan Beach Toyota, Mr. Sandquist was forced to resign in 2011.
However, before the Los Angeles Super Court could even address Mr. Sandquist’s claims, the litigation became focused on the interpretation of the company’s arbitration agreement. When this trial court held that the arbitration agreement compelled individual arbitration, Sanford Heisler Sharp successfully appealed the decision in the Second District. Currently, the case is pending before the Supreme Court of California. For more information about the status of this case, please refer to case number S220812.
Attorneys Involved in the Case
- ALM, July 28, 2016 – Divided Cal. Supreme Court Rules for Plaintiffs on Class Arbitration
- PR Newswire, July 28, 2016 – Sanford Heisler And Public Justice Win Key Decision In California Supreme Court
- The Recorder, July 28, 2016 – Divided Calif. Supreme Court Rules for Plaintiffs on Class Arbitration
- Los Angeles Times, January 9, 2012 – John Elway, partners in Manhattan Beach dealership face bias suit
- Easy Reader News, January 8, 2012 – John Elway’s Manhattan Beach Toyota faces discrimination suit
1350 Avenue of the Americas
New York, NY 10019