Midshipmen-Cadet Suits Against Maersk Line, Limited
Hope Hicks v. Maersk Line, Limited | Midshipman Y v. Maersk Line, Limited
Filed in: Supreme Court of the State of New York, Nassau County
The complaints alleged that Maersk Line, owner and operator of commercial cargo vessels, violated the Jones Act, General Maritime Law, and anti-discrimination laws by failing to adequately protect two female students from sexual assault and sexual harassment while they worked aboard the Maersk M/V Alliance Fairfax as part of the U. S. Merchant Marine Academy’s “Sea Year” program.
The complaints further alleged that, despite being aware of the history of sexual assault and harassment on its ships, Maersk failed to institute adequate safety and prevention measures. As a result, during their Sea Years, cadet Hope Hicks was raped by her superior officer and the cadet who goes by the moniker “Midshipman Y” was subjected to extreme sexual harassment by a crewmember.
- November 21, 2022 — Midshipman Y and Maersk Line, Limited reached a confidential agreement resolving her litigation against the company.
- November 18, 2022 — Hope Hicks and Maersk Line, Limited (MLL) announce that they have resolved Ms. Hicks’ litigation against the company filed in New York Supreme Court in June for sexual assault and harassment during her cadet Sea Year in 2019.
- June 14, 2022 – Complaints filed by Sanford Heisler Sharp and Maritime Legal Solutions, PLLC against Maersk Line, Limited on behalf of Hope Hicks and Midshipman Y, respectively, alleging violations of the Jones Act, General Maritime Law, and anti-discrimination laws.
- Hakai Magazine – “The US Merchant Marine Academy Grapples with Gender-Based Violence”
- El País –”Lawsuits filed against shipping giant Maersk for sexual assault
of US Merchant Marine cadets”
- Newsday –”USMMA cadet suits: Women assaulted, abused on training ships
during year at sea“
- CNN – “Two students sue Maersk, alleging sexual assault and harassment”
- The Washington Post – “U.S. cadets suing shipping company, alleging rape and harassment
- Business Insider –”A merchant navy cadet is suing Maersk, saying the company
failed to protect her from rape and sexual harassment on board one of
- The Maritime Executive – “‘Midshipman X’ Reveals Her Identity in Suit Against
Maersk Line Ltd.”
- Lloyd’s List –”Sexual abuse and harassment ‘systemic’ on ships”