Kristi Stahnke McGregor
Kristi Stahnke McGregor is Of Counsel at Sanford Heisler Sharp.
At Sanford Heisler Sharp, Kristi’s practice focuses on financial services litigation, including 401(k) mismanagement and investor protection; whistleblower and qui tam claims; and class action litigation.
Kristi’s representations have included:
- Litigating on behalf of a class of U.S. shareholders in Germany’s largest telecommunications company in a private securities class action, resulting in a $120 million court-approved settlement for U.S. investors
- Litigating on behalf of classes of mutual fund investors against mutual fund companies that permitted certain favored clients to engage in late trading and market timing to the detriment of ordinary mutual fund investors, culminating in a $75 million court-approved settlement
- Litigating on behalf of investors in NYSE Euronext challenging its proposed merger with Deutsche Boerse AG, resulting in $900 million special dividend to shareholders, if the merger was consummated, and additional proxy statement disclosures to shareholders
- Litigating on behalf of several large metropolitan counties against a multinational financial institution for engaging in discriminatory mortgage practices in violation of the Fair Housing Act, resulting in multi-million-dollar settlements
- Litigating on behalf of beneficiaries of two trusts valued at $150 million against trustees for breach of fiduciary duty, including the duty of prudence, resulting in favorable confidential settlement on the eve of trial
- Litigating on behalf of the family of an American murdered abroad by a terrorist organization in a lawsuit against a multinational corporation that provided financial support to the terrorist organization in violation of the Anti-Terrorism Act, resulting in a confidential settlement on the eve of trial
- Representing Holocaust survivors, pro bono, in claims to compensation funds established by the German and Austrian governments and Swiss banks, and resulting from class action lawsuits filed in the U.S.
Kristi received her law degree from Emory University School of Law, her master of law degree, magna cum laude, from the University of Münster, Germany, and her undergraduate degree, phi beta kappa, from the University of Florida. While at Emory, Kristi served as the research editor of the Emory International Law Review, Co-President of the Emory International Law Society, and research assistant to Robert W. Woodruff Professor of Law Harold J. Berman. While at the University of Münster, Kristi was a recipient of the Federal Chancellor Fellowship through the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation, coached the University of Münster Pace International Moot Arbitration team, and presented on the U.S. Foreign Corrupt Practices Act and international anti-corruption efforts at a conference between German and Italian law students.
Kristi is a member of the Georgia, New York and Florida bars.
Before joining Sanford Heisler Sharp, Kristi practiced for 15 years with a prominent national plaintiff’s class action firm based in New York where she gained substantial experience representing investors in private securities class actions, shareholders in corporate derivative actions involving breaches of fiduciary duty by officers and directors, and pension plan participants in breach of fiduciary duty class actions under ERISA. Kristi also practiced for six years with an Atlanta-based complex litigation firm where she gained substantial experience representing whistleblowers reporting corporate fraud to the government, including healthcare and mortgage fraud qui tam actions under the False Claims Act, consumers in data breach class actions, and bankruptcy trustees and investors in financial fraud actions.
When Kristi is not lawyering, she enjoys hiking with her husband and rescue dogs, spending time at the barn watching her daughter ride horses, and attempting to turn her black thumb green in the garden.
- LL.M., University of Münster, Germany, magna cum laude
- J.D., Emory School of Law
- B.A., University of Florida, phi beta kappa
- Friedrich-Wilhelms Universität Bonn, Germany, post-baccalaureate studies
- New York
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Georgia
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Georgia
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- Taxpayers Against Fraud (TAF) Anti-Fraud Coalition
- Federal Bar Association