Kate MacMullin is an Associate at Sanford Heisler Sharp.
Since joining Sanford Heisler Sharp, Kate has been recognized in the legal community as a 2021 New York Metro Super Lawyer Rising Star.
At Sanford Heisler Sharp, Kate’s practice has focused on employment discrimination, representing both individuals and classes. Working with a team of Sanford Heisler Sharp attorneys, Kate has represented clients including:
- An employee at a tech company who was underpaid based on her race
- A nuclear medicine technologist who was sexually assaulted by her supervisor
- A group of female investment bankers of color who were wrongfully terminated
- A construction project manager who was subjected to race discrimination and retaliation
- A group of female associates at a law firm who experienced gender discrimination
- An engineer who was terminated after disclosing his cancer diagnosis
- A professor who was denied tenure based on his race and terminated after he complained about the discrimination
Kate received her law degree magna cum laude from Harvard Law School and her undergraduate degree magna cum laude from Brown University. While at Harvard, Kate was an Executive Content Editor for the Harvard Journal of Law and Gender and a student attorney in Harvard’s Domestic Violence and Family Law Clinic.
A member of the New York bar, Kate has co-authored an article that appears in Wolters Kluwer’s Labor Law Journal.
Before joining Sanford Heisler Sharp, Kate completed a clerkship for the Honourable Michael J. Moldaver of the Supreme Court of Canada.
When Kate is not lawyering, she enjoys reading fiction and practicing yoga.
- J.D., Harvard Law School, magna cum laude
- B.A., Brown University, magna cum laude
- Domestic Violence and Family Law Clinic – Legal Services Center, Harvard Law School
- Honourable Michael J. Moldaver, Supreme Court of Canada
- New York, 2019
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- 2024 Best Lawyers in America: Ones to Watch
- 2023 National Trial Lawyers Top 40 Under 40 Civil Plaintiff Trial Lawyers
- 2021 New York Metro Super Lawyer Rising Star
My case lawyers were simply awesome.
“Prior to my engagement with Sanford Heisler Sharp I had heard the law firm’s outstanding reputation for legal services. However, what I found out after my personal experience with the firm cannot even be put into words. My case lawyers, Russell Kornblith and Kate MacMullin, were simply awesome. I am forever grateful for their level of skill and compassion that they presented me. Russell and Kate are extremely knowledgeable lawyer — a team anyone could rely on for their case. They are extremely approachable and honest and go the extra mile to represent their clients. From the moment I met them the first time, I knew I was safe. Thank you very much, Russell and Kate.”
– Amsale Robi
“I was terminated from my position as a leader (Director) with a large public employer because I was a woman. The process of looking for a lawyer to represent me was anxiety provoking because a good lawyer is hard to find, and an excellent lawyer is even rarer. However, excellence is exactly what I found in Sanford Heisler Sharp.
Danielle Fuschetti was lead counsel on my case; Kate MacMullin was assistant counsel; and Stephanie Smith provided administrative support. They were my “Dream Team.” They each worked closely with me by guiding me through what to do and what not to do.
My case was not only complex because of all the types of claims I had, but we were dealing with representatives from the other side that were trying very hard to make things as difficult as possible for me. Danielle was strategic throughout the process by cutting through red tape, holding the other side accountable, and very thoughtful and persuasive in presenting my case and corresponding liability to the other side.
It is rare to find a lawyer that is of superior quality and intelligence, but that is what I found in Danielle. Although my “Dream Team” is a force to be reckoned with, at the same time, they were consistently kind, compassionate, and service-oriented when working with me. There wasn’t a moment that I didn’t feel that I was in good hands.
My case settled during the pre-litigation stages of the case. I am most thankful, grateful, and happy with the settlement they got me. I can’t think of a better group of people to work with.”
– Former Client
Very good, patient listeners.
“I am so grateful to have had David Sanford, David Tracey, Kate MacMullin and Alex Johnson fight for me. They never once wavered in believing in my case and helped me not only settlement wise, but also in sending the long-coming message to my firm that their mistreatment of women was no longer tolerated, nor will we stay quiet any longer. The team clearly demonstrated their expertise in employment discrimination law throughout my case. I felt that they always had my best interests at hand. They were very professional but also very good, patient listeners. And just overall good, genuine people. I used to blame myself for what happened, but now I have clarity and closure about the reality of the situation and can confidently move forward with my life and my future endeavors.”
– Former Client
Endless support and careful guidance.
“David Sanford, David Tracey, and Kate MacMullin provided me with endless support and careful guidance through one of the most challenging chapters of my career. After experiencing discrimination in the workplace, I felt helpless and afraid. The team at Sanford Heisler Sharp spoke with me for months to develop trust and share the information I needed to make a decision regarding legal representation. During this time, I never felt pressured to rush to an answer as my own interests and goals were always put first by the team.
Sanford Heisler Sharp gave me the courage to stand up for myself, and I feel extremely fortunate to have been represented by such sincere, talented and hardworking individuals. Thanks to the team, I have moved on to the next phase of my career with renewed confidence, inspiration and passion. I highly recommend Sanford Heisler Sharp to anyone navigating a similarly difficult situation. I’m so glad I went forward with the support of this group!”
– Former Client
- Litigator of the Week Runners-Up and Shout Outs, Law.com, November 17, 2023
- Robert De Niro’s Company Is Found Liable for Gender Discrimination, The New York Times, November 9, 2023
- Jury awards $1.2 million to Robert De Niro’s former assistant in gender discrimination lawsuit, Associated Press, November 9, 2023
- Robert De Niro ‘Triggered’ Former Assistant’s Mental Illness, Psychiatrist Claims at Trial, The Messenger, November 8, 2023
- De Niro Aide Suffered Work Anxiety, Jury Told, Law360, November 7, 2023
- What to Know About Robert De Niro’s Trial Against Former Assistant, The New York Times, November 3, 2023
- VP’s Sex Discrimination Suit Against De Niro Partially Tossed, Law360, May 26, 2023
- Harvard Must Face Suit Over Professor’s Harassment, Retaliation, Bloomberg Law, April 4, 2023
- Harvard Must Face Suit Over Prof’s Alleged Harassment, Law360, April 4, 2023
- States – The Final Frontier: How State Law and State Courts Can Provide Avenues for Justice and Resist the U.S. Supreme Court’s “Lochner Lite” Anti-Employee and Anti-Consumer Agenda, Wolter Kluwer’s Labor Law Journal, September 14, 2021. Co-Author.