New York Partner
Andrew Macurdy is a Partner at Sanford Heisler Sharp and Co-Chair of the firm’s Trial Practice Group.
A former federal prosecutor and experienced trial lawyer, Andrew has tried over a dozen cases before juries in federal and state court, as both prosecutor and defense attorney. At Sanford Heisler Sharp, Andrew’s practice focuses on whistleblower claims of corporate misconduct, as well as employment discrimination and other public interest litigation, representing both individuals and classes.
Before joining Sanford Heisler Sharp, Andrew served as a prosecutor at every level of government in New Jersey. Most recently, Andrew was Senior Counsel to the New Jersey Attorney General, overseeing and coordinating criminal justice policy and litigation for the state. In that role, among other things, he drafted statewide guidelines for police departments regarding workplace accommodations for pregnant officers. Prior to that, he served as an Assistant United States Attorney in the District of New Jersey, investigating and prosecuting crimes ranging from securities fraud, Ponzi schemes, commercial mortgage fraud, and insider trading, to weapons trafficking and forced labor. As an AUSA, Andrew brought some of the earliest and largest charges of fraud on COVID-pandemic federal relief programs. Andrew began his prosecutorial work at the Hudson County Prosecutor’s Office in Jersey City, trying robbery, burglary, assault, weapons, and official misconduct offenses.
Andrew has served on the faculty of Harvard Law School’s Trial Advocacy Program, and taught as an adjunct professor of Appellate Advocacy at Seton Hall Law School.
Andrew clerked for the Honorable Michael A. Chagares, Chief Judge for the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit, and the Honorable Miriam Goldman Cedarbaum of the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York. Andrew began his career as an antitrust litigation associate at Arnold & Porter in Washington DC.
Andrew graduated cum laude from Harvard Law School, where he was an editor of the Harvard Law Review. He received his undergraduate degree from Swarthmore College with Honors and as a member of Phi Beta Kappa.
- J.D., Harvard Law School, cum laude
- B.A., Swarthmore College
- New Jersey
- New York
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey
- Litigator of the Week Runners-Up and Shout Outs, Law.com, November 17, 2023
- Robert De Niro’s Company Is Found Liable for Gender Discrimination, The New York Times, November 9, 2023
- What to Know About Robert De Niro’s Trial Against Former Assistant, The New York Times, November 3, 2023
- Ex-Schlumberger Engineer Says Dream Job Became ‘Nightmare’, Law360, July 20, 2023
- Schlumberger HR Says Remark To Engineer Was ‘Feedback’, Law360, July 19, 2023
- Sanford Heisler Sharp Recruits Macurdy as Co-Chair of Trial Team, Bloomberg Law, June 28, 2023
- Sanford Heisler Adds Former NJ AG Counsel To Trial Group, Law360, June 28, 2023
- Sanford Heisler Sharp Adds Partner Andrew Macurdy, Former Senior Counsel to New Jersey Attorney General and Former Federal Prosecutor, GlobeNewswire, June 28, 2023