New York Partner
Email: [email protected]
– Former University Administrator
– A Former Client, President & General Manager
Meredith Firetog is a Partner at Sanford Heisler Sharp.
Since joining Sanford Heisler Sharp, Meredith has been recognized in the legal community as a Super Lawyers Rising Star.
At Sanford Heisler Sharp, Meredith’s practice has focused on gender discrimination and harassment and wage and hour cases, representing both individuals and classes. Working with a team of Sanford Heisler Sharp attorneys, Meredith has represented clients including:
- A representative collective of thousands of technology salespeople at Oracle bringing violations of the California Labor Code pursuant to the Private Attorneys Generals Act (PAGA)
- Yale university students against the university and college fraternities for violations of Title IX and the Fair Housing Act
- A female partner who was denied meaningful work following pregnancy leave
- An in-house attorney retaliated against for making complaints about company wrongdoing
- A male executive who was denied paternity leave and terminated after protesting
- An executive assistant who was denied overtime pay and terminated for discussing wages
- An undergraduate student who was sexually assaulted by a university dean
- A sales executive who was paid less than male employees performing the same work
- A female lawyer who was discriminatorily denied partnership and terminated for complaining of gender discrimination
- A university administrator who was discriminated against because of her race
- A university administrator who was underpaid compared to her male predecessor
Meredith received her law degree from Stanford Law School, her master’s degree in Women’s Studies from the University of Oxford, and her bachelor’s degree from Swarthmore College with High Honors. While at Stanford Law School, Meredith was a member of the Stanford Law Review, serving as the Senior Symposium Editor for the 2014 symposium commemorating the 50th anniversary of the Civil Rights Act. She also served as Co-President of the Stanford Public Interest Law Foundation and on the board of Women of Stanford Law. She was awarded the John Hart Ely Prize for Outstanding Performance in Gender, Law, and Public Policy, and participated in both the Community Law Clinic and the International Human Rights and Conflict Resolution Clinic. At Swarthmore College, Meredith served on the College Judiciary Committee, and graduated Phi Beta Kappa with High Honors in History.
Meredith is a member of the New York State Bar Association.
Before joining Sanford Heisler Sharp, Meredith completed a clerkship for the Honorable Gregory H. Woods of the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York. Prior to her clerkship, Meredith was an associate at Simpson Thacher & Bartlett LLP, where she gained substantial experience in complex commercial litigation and worked on multiple pro bono cases.
When Meredith is not lawyering, she enjoys cooking, baking and listening to Bob Dylan.
- J.D., Stanford Law School
- M.St., University of Oxford, distinction
- B.A., Swarthmore College, high honors, Phi Beta Kappa
- Stanford Law School: International Human Rights and Conflict Resolution Clinic
- Stanford Law School: Community Law Clinic
- Honorable Gregory H. Woods, United States District Court for the Southern District of New York
- New York, 2015
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- 2021 New York Metro Super Lawyer Rising Star
I Can’t Thank You Enough For Your Support, Guidance And Advocacy
“[Meredith], I can’t thank you enough for your support, guidance, and advocacy throughout this process. While there technically may be no “winners” in a mediation, I do feel like I won. I meant what I said in my opening statement that, regardless of the outcome, I would find closure in having shared my truth. And I have. You gave me the space and confidence to do so, and it means so much to me and my family. This experience would not have been the same way with any other attorney. The firm is lucky to have you as is every past and future client. Thanks for believing in me and fighting for me!
Simon and David – thank you both as well. Grateful for this firm and what it’s given me” – Anonymous
Professional, Caring, Persistent and Tenacious
“I contacted David Sanford at Sanford Heisler Sharp after I was suddenly terminated from my executive role after twenty-three years of service. I shared my story with David, Meredith, Alok and Alex. The company culture had always been hostile towards women. I was one of the very few women in an executive role. I survived by keeping my head down and consistently outperforming my male peers but was suddenly replaced by a man I suspected was paid more to perform the same job I did. We filed claims under the Equal Pay Act and Title VII. Despite the opposition’s constant delay tactics, which was almost three years’ worth, Meredith Firetog was professional, caring, persistent and tenacious when necessary. Meredith, Alok and Alex were just the team I needed to battle the good ol’ boy culture that resonated throughout the private family conglomerate.”– A Former Client, President & General Manager
They believed me.
“There aren’t enough words to explain my gratitude for Meredith Firetog, Claire, and the Sanford Heisler team. As a strong woman of color, I worked in a mostly white male-dominated university for over fifteen years. As an employee, I rose through the ranks quickly because of the quality of my work. After all of those years of dedicated service, I never expected to experience discrimination. During our first meeting, I was in shock, broken, humiliated, and traumatized by my former employer’s treatment. I was met with compassion when I walked into their office. Meredith and Claire listened to me and validated my experience. They gave me the words to help understand what happened. They believed me. Taking the step to obtain justice was not an easy decision, but Meredith explained the process, terminology, and any other questions every step of the way. She helped me craft emails I needed to send to make sure the messaging was consistent and solid. She always responded to my emails promptly. I never felt like I was “just some client.” Suing a large university was not an easy decision, but I am so thankful that I had this law firm fighting. I am grateful for the outcome of the case but even more so impressed with the treatment. I will never forget Meredith and Claire.”– Former University Administrator
“If you are reading this, you are likely in the midst of a very difficult journey. I know, because I went through it myself, and I am here to tell you that if you stay positive and trust your Sanford Heisler Sharp team, the road can be transformational and yield amazing results. . . . Russell and Meredith fought for me, and also held my hand throughout the process, during which I experienced some of the lowest lows of my life. We spoke almost every day, to the point where I was very sad to see our relationship end (although they will always be in my life because I’ll never stop emailing them :)). Most importantly, they got me to the best possible resolution for me. My path has taken a sharp turn for the better, and they had a huge part to play in that fact. You will be OK at the end of this because you have Sanford Heisler Sharp; trust the process and know that life is infinitely better on the other side of an environment that is holding you back from realizing your full potential in life.”– Anonymous
- UPDATE: Sanford Heisler Sharp Announces Four New Partners, Four Senior Litigation Counsel, GlobeNewswire, February 03, 2023
- Sanford Heisler Sharp Promotes Felicia Gilbert to San Francisco Managing Partner, Sanford Heisler Sharp, LLP, January 08, 2020