Ari B. Rubin
Email: [email protected]
Ari B. Rubin is a Litigation Fellow at Sanford Heisler Sharp.
Ari received his law degree from Georgetown University Law Center (J.D., 2020), specializing in national security prosecution, and his undergraduate degree from Wesleyan University (B.A., 2002), in history, government, economics, and social theory. While in law school, he interned with the DOJ National Security Division, the Manhattan District Attorney, the U.S. Attorney’s Offices for the Central District California and the District of Maryland, and with Judge Paul L. Friedman of the U.S. District Court for DC He was the Executive Notes Editor on the Georgetown Law Journal, member of the Guantanamo Observers Program, and practicum member of the impact litigation group, the Institute for Constitutional Advocacy and Protection.
A member of the Maryland Bar, Ari has authored law articles that appear in the Cardozo Law Review, the Georgetown Law Journal, the Richmond Journal of Law and Technology, and the American University National Security Law Brief. Before joining Sanford Heisler Sharp, Ari completed clerkships for Judge Roy B. Dalton of the U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida and Chief Judge Matthew J. Fader of the Maryland Special Court of Appeals.
Before beginning his law career, Ari was a film and TV screenwriter and producer. He wrote feature films for actor/director Robert Redford, actor Tom Cruise at Paramount Pictures, director Francis Lawrence at Warner Brothers, and the TV pilot “Shelter” at NBC Universal. His script “The Brutus Complex” was on the 2005 Black List, and he is a two-time Sundance Screenwriters Lab finalist. Ari served two terms as a board member of the Hollywood labor union, the Writers Guild of America West.
In addition screenwriting, Ari worked as a policy co-director or consultant for numerous political campaigns and organizations, including Janice Hahn for Congress, Mike Feuer for Los Angeles City Attorney, Wendy Greuel for Los Angeles Mayor, and the Democratic National Committee. Ari has written op-eds for publications including Politico, The Huffington Post, and the New York Daily News.
Ari’s work has taken him up Mt. Everest, to Chernobyl, Iraq, and Somalia, just to name a few. He is a licensed multi-engine flight instructor, an EMT, and, time permitting, a marathon/triathlon racer.
- J.D., Georgetown University Law Center, 2020
- B.A., Wesleyan University, 2002
- Maryland, 2020
- District of Columbia
*Admitted to practice law in Maryland only; practicing under the supervision of H. Vincent McKnight Jr. in the District of Columbia
- Multi-Engine Instrument Certified Flight Instructor (CFII-MEI)
- DHS Los Angeles County Emergency Medical Technician (EMT-1)
- Member, Maryland Chapter of the Federal Bar Association
- Adnan Syed Case: Attorneys For Hae Min Lee’s Brother Escalate Allegations Ahead Of Oral Arguments In Appeal, The Baltimore Sun, Jan 25, 2023
- Disinformation on Trial; Fighting Foreign Disinformation by Empowering the Victims, 43 Cardozo L. Rev. 969 (2022).
- Grounding the Lame Duck; the President, the Final Three Months, and Emergency Powers, 109 Geo L. J. 907 (2021).
- A Facial Challenge: Facial Recognition Technology and the Carpenter Doctrine, 27 Rich. J.L. & Tech. 2 (2021).
- The Conservative Court and Torture Attenuation, 11 Am. U. Nat’l Sec. L. Brief 1 (2021).
- Op-ed contributor to publications including Politico, Huffington Post, and the New York Daily News.