Case Type: Wage and Hour Class Action
Company: Google, Inc.
On January 27, 2016, a former contract worker at Google filed a class action lawsuit in the Superior Court of California, Santa Clara County, alleging that the company failed to pay contract recruiters and sourcers for all overtime worked. The lawsuit also named Urpan Technologies, one of the many staffing agencies through which Google acquires contract workers, as a defendant.
Following the filing of the lawsuit, the parties exchanged extensive documents and data, retained experts to examine millions of timestamp entries, and engaged in negotiations regarding the merits of the claims and the scope of the class. On February 28, 2017, the parties participated in a full-day mediation with the preeminent class action and employment mediator, Mark S. Rudy, Esq. Over the following weeks, the mediator continued to assist the parties in negotiating an agreement, and on May 23, 2017, the parties entered into a settlement.
Pursuant to the settlement agreement, Defendants will pay $5.5 million to settle the class claims following final Court-approval of the settlement.
On June 20, 2017, the settlement was granted preliminary approval by Judge Brian C. Walsh in the Superior Court of California, Santa Clara County. Notice of the settlement was subsequently mailed to approximately 795 current and former contract workers who performed recruiting or sourcing work at Google. No class member objected to the settlement.
On January 5, 2018, Plaintiffs moved for final approval of the settlement, and on February 2, 2018, the Court held a Final Fairness Hearing. On February 7, 2018, the Court issued an Order granting final approval of the settlement, and on March 2, 2018, Judgment was entered. Plaintiffs anticipate that settlement checks will be mailed to the Class in May.
If you have questions about the case against Google and/or the settlement, you can receive additional information by contacting Sanford Heisler Sharp at 415-795-2020 or googleOTsettlement@sanfordheisler.com.
- Click here to read the Order Entering Judgement
- Click here to read the notice of class settlement
- Click here to read the order granting preliminary approval
- Click here to read the second amended complaint
- Click here to read the final fairness hearing order
- July 31, 2017 - Sanford Heisler Sharp Settles Wage Claims Against Google and Urpan Technologies for $5.5 Million
- January 27, 2016 - Sanford Heisler Sharp Files Class Action Against Google, Inc.
- Sanford Heisler Sharp Settles Wage Claims Against Google And Urpan Technologies For $5.5 Million
- Google, UrpanTech’s $5.5M Wage Deal Gets Green Light
- Google Refused To Pay Contract Recruiters OT, Suit Says
- Sys-Con Media, January 27, 2016 – Sanford Heisler Kimpel Files Class Action Against Google, Inc.
- Sanford Heisler Kimpel Files Class Action Against Google, Inc.
- Fast Company, January 27, 2016 – Google Sued by Former Contractor for Withholding Pay
- The Recorder, January 27, 2016 – Google Sued for Alleged Overtime Violations
1350 Avenue of the Americas
New York, NY 10019